Portrait Challenge. Days One and Two
Before I get started, I posted my second (and final I think) installment about the Southwest Quilt and Fiber Art Festival over at Southern Utah Fiber Artists blog. I recently, after much trial and tribulation, resurrected it from the dead. Here is the post in which Cathie Purdy is featured!
OK on with the show.
On a whim... sigh... I decided to do a Creative Bug Daily Portrait Challenge with teacher Charlotte Hamilton. I am enjoying it! It is slightly humbling, but if I were a great drawer I would be teacher! I am, in fact, not an awesome drawer and I feel it hold me back watercolor wise. Art wise actually. It effects everything and often keeps me from trying new things because I don't want to draw whatever it is. So we shall see how much I improve over the course of 31 days.
Here is Day One. A portrait of Frida Kahlo. She broke down how to think about constructing the face as she drew it. She did it in a few minutes and didn't erase. That set me on edge because I love to erase. I drew mine and it took OVER AN HOUR. But it is nice. I erased the reference lines (which were very helpful) and I erased the hell out of her. Oh now that I'm looking at it I see I forgot to shade her ear. Dang. Anyhoo here we are!
Mine:
Reference photo:
Day 2:
Reference photo. If the lady in the reference photo (who is a friend of the artist) happens to see what I do to her beautiful visage, I beg her forgiveness. Truly.
Second 2 minute draw is in a red pencil. Slightly better. The pencil glided across the paper.
Third two minute draw is in a marker. It didn't slide across the paper.
OK that's it. I will be posting them as I go. Again, if you are this lovely lady, apologies.






Comments
Post a Comment