Daily Portrait Challege Days 3, 4 and 5

 Good day fellow creatives!  Today I present the very frightening results of days 3, 4 and 5 of the Daily Portrait Challenge class I am taking on creative Bug with the charming artist Charlotte Hamilton.

Day Three's challenge was to mangle the beautiful image of Natalie's daughter in 5 minutes.  I excelled.

Here we have the aforementioned daughter.  Note the weird angle. 

 

In a mere 5 minutes with a red then a black brush pen (I was having trouble with the ink. I live in the desert. Everything eventually desiccates including your friendly blogger) I managed to utterly ruin her.

And then here we go again.  5 minutes in pencil I mangled the beautiful child's image a little less.

And final chance at destruction: 5 minutes with a fine liner pen which, thankfully, managed to keep flowing for the 5 minutes.  Natalie's daughter would not agree with the thanks given. But she looks a lot better than the brush pen version.

On to day 4. Bling contour drawing.  It brings laughter to children of all ages.  The idea is to draw the contours of the portrait without looking at YOUR paper, keeping an eye on the picture and not lifting the pen from your paper.  You may not agree, but it didn't turn out terrible.  I never peeked. You can see where I hesitated with my full of ink marker. I feel like I am seeing the images better today. The elements.

And finally on Day 5 we have this little cutie pie Morton.  I am to compose and map him in 10 minutes.  I think I took a tad longer. No erasing, just get on with it.  Mind where things are in relation to other things.  Done in a pencil.  Get the broad strokes of the portrait with its tonal areas marked out and then cross hatch the tones according to value.  I found this most enjoyable.  Sorry for the muckup with the image Morton.  I have a problem with drawing things too small with the proportions getting all wonky.  This looks fairly good.  I had to redraw the chin and shirt shape and location, but all in all I am happy.  Good exercise I will continue to do.


 

Comments