Zentangle. I love it. It racks my nerves.

 I know people think zentangle is meditative. So they all say. They even tried to force the notion by naming it ZEN.  People, they are wrong!  I love the look, the extra something special it adds to alcohol ink pieces and to watercolor, but the act of doing it... 15 minutes in and only one leaf of a flower zentangled?  I'm looking to squash something.  I feel the same thing about knitting. After a knitting session I want to drive the needles into something. I start loose, I end tight.  Hey, that should be a t shirt.  

Back to zentangle. I found a video by Untangling Addie that sums it up perfectly minus the madness I feel mid tangle.

]

 I thought I would love it.  After all I love Sue S's Zentangles:

(She sent me three to pick from for this post, but I am saving the other two back because I am mean. No.  I am going to feature them later.  They are sweet and creative just like her and I love them... both!)

OK back to my mess. 

I got a book.  I started a journal of zentangles so I could refer to the designs when I am using them in art. Witness good intentions and studiously avoiding getting distracted into actual doodling nonsense. Well done me:

 

 I got new pens.  I'm about 15 pages into my journal of zentangles and I am not in love. I will use the journal - no doubt. I like the look in art. BUT this is what I end up with if my mind wanders (And it will. I have little control.) while in the act on zenacy. Yes, that is a word. (The act of going for zen, but getting distracted or thinking suddenly that adding a face eating cake would be a nice addition) Hence:

 


So if you see unrogue zentangle in my work, offer me a wine and a pat on the head.  It took all I had not to veer off the zentangle road.

 

 

Comments