Days 14-16 of Creativebug's Month Long Daily Portrait Challenge

Took a bit of a break from the challenge, but I did do some really good drawing and friends - my drawing was much improved.  Like really good for me.  I'm not going to show you yet because it is part of the fabric challenge of the Southern Utah Fiber Artists (SUFA).  We are tasked with creating something - a textile art piece - meaning a weave, an art quilt, embroidery of some sort using the challenge fabric.  In this case some tie fabric of suspect fashionability. I will post it in December after I show it at the Christmas party for SUFA.

OK back from the diversion:

First up Day 14:  A very quick marker sketch of a joyous beautiful young woman with three layers in three colors. I did it in about 7 minutes with magic markers:

 


And onto Day 15: 10 Minute Crosshatching of the teacher Charlotte Hamilton's serene sweet little daughter. I prayed before I started that I would not turn her into a pig face like I did the previous little girl in this challenge.  Help me.


 Not awesome.  But it is crosshatching and done in about 5 minutes.  Charlotte did not put time contsraints but I feel like that is probably the amount of time she spent.  Plus I am very busy and doing all three days in a day.  Get on with it!!  Charlotte's sketch also deprived her daughter of her beautiful innocent look so I don't feel crazy terrible.

 Finally Day 16: Tombow Brush Marker Portrait of Brandon. I don't have Tombow brush markers, but I DO have some very suspect watercolor brush pens.  I will try first with them and if it goes sideways, I will pull out the regular markers and pretend they are glorious Tombows.


 I know.  Devolving as the days go.  The watercolor markers were so dry.  The mouth.  Poor Brandon.  I hope he never has to see how many people mangle him up. Surely I am not alone.  I swear I had no wine while making these things.  I may have some after since I have not only to behold the last two wreckages, but know I am the cause.  That said, I like the first one so maybe it should be champagne instead of wine.

With all three of these portraits we used markers that were not the same color as the thing we were drawing.  It should help free yourself from the constraints of what you see.  Make you more free and easy. 

 I really feel these exercises are helping.  I took a couple week break so I slid a little, but not a lot. I feel I can regain the loss.  Really enjoying this.

Comments