First Colored Pencil Portrait: My Nephew Finn

 My first foray into colored pencil drawing is Finn:


Picture I used of Finn:


 He is the hansom and gentle fellow belonging to my friends Michelle and Bob. Or rather he and his brother Connor own them.  Potato Potahto.  I have tried to watercolor his brother and it didn't go well. Well, it did come out goofy and funny - which is utterly Connor. But I decided on trying to draw Finn because I wanted to take a stab at fur. He has it in abundance and has piles of color running thru it.  He is a truly gorgeous pup. 

 I have a 24 pack of Prisma colored pencils that I bought a few months ago to decide whether I like to work with pencils.  I discovered I need some sort of neutral blurring pencil.  I didn't have one so I used the white pencil which was not ideal.  I wish I had one. It probably would have looked less milky in spots.  I tried a burnisher.  No.  I also have no idea how to color correct once you get something too dark.  

Also I thought the pencil drawing I did would be covered by the colored pencil.  No.  Once I realized this it was too late so I ended up erasing most of the drawing to almost gone which means I lost most every marker for the color changes in the fur.  I left the basic outline darker - also not ideal.  Next time, I would draw in colored pencil.  I don't think I have seen that done.  Why?  Because you can't erase? Anyway, a problem to ponder.

 Do I love colored pencils? No.  It made my hand tired.  Will I fold them into my artwork? Yes.  Also if anyone reads this, is there a white pencil that actually comes out white?  The white I have was not amazing and once color is laid down AT ALL, there seemed to be no way to get visible white down.  Anyway, fun try. 


Comments